- Postage and packing £0.00
Sweet Potato GrowPod Kit - 6 Plants and 2 x 45L Pods
This is the perfect way to grow your own Sweet Potatoes at home - no back-breaking digging required!
One of the most versatile vegetables, sweet potatoes have become exceedingly popular over the last decade thanks to their delicious flavour, ease of cooking and all the new and unique ways to cook up a storm in the kitchen - with a healthier twist on the traditional white potato!
With extra dietary fibre in a sweet potato compared to a normal potato, many of us are adding more and more sweet potato into our diets, and it's so easy to do. From typical mashing, boiling or baking, to chips, soups, curries and stews, there are so many wonderful dishes that are so easy to make - so why not grow your own supply and save yourself some pennies on expensive supermarket prices?
This collection includes two vitamin-rich varieties, a purple and a red skin, that when grown by your own fair hands will add something a little special to your dishes.
Included in this collection;
- Erato Orange - a typical orange-fleshed, red-skinned potato
- Erato White - a slightly more unusual looking white fleshed, purple skinned sweet potato
Grow in hot conditions, preferably in a greenhouse or conservatory. Perfect for growing in the grow pods supplied, they'll grow to a maximum of approx. 30cm tall and with regular watering, the vigorous plants will develop large tubers in the summer and will be ready for harvest from September through to October. The tubers can even be harvested in the autumn and stored until you want to use them.
The heavy duty, 45-litre growing pods can be used year after year.
Supplied as a collection of 6 plants; 3 of each variety Erato Orange and Erato White. Includes 2 x 45L Growing Pods.
If grown outdoors, sweet potatoes need moisture-retentive, free-draining soil, in a sheltered, sunny position (they are particularly happy in organic rich sand).
- Prepare the ground as necessary.
- Use black polythene, to warm the soil and suppress weed growth. Lay the polythene over the soil several weeks before planting, from late March or April as the soil starts to warm up.
- Grow the plants on in a bright, frost-free position in the greenhouse or on a sunny windowsill, until late May until early June, potting on as necessary.
- ‘Harden off’ before planting outdoors, through slits in the polythene.
- Cover with cloches or fleece – the temperature lift makes all the difference.
Grow sweet potatoes in a glasshouse in large tubs such as Grow Pods, growing-bags or the glasshouse border, transplanting from the pots once they have produced plenty of roots. The foliage can be trained up string, canes or trellis. Any good growing medium is satisfactory, including peat-free types.
- Sweet potatoes crop best at temperatures between 21-26°C (70-80°F).
- Keep greenhouse plants well-watered and feed every other week with a high-potassium liquid feed.
- Overwinter plants in a frost-free greenhouse or windowsill.
- Ideal For: Pots/allotments/grow your own
- Fruit: September-October
- Position: Full Sun
- Height/Spread: 30cm x 100cm
- Hardiness: Not Hardy – Protect from Frost
- Supplied as: A collection of 6 plants, 3 each of 2 varieties Erato Orange and Erato White for planting in the 45L Growing Pods provided.
- 6 x Plants
- 2 x 45L Grow Pods
Delivery and Returns
Your order will be dispatched within 3-5 working days. Most deliveries require someone to accept and sign for the delivery to ensure the goods are received correctly. To help you we can arrange for delivery to be made elsewhere. Click here for more information.
We hope you like your purchase, however, if you are not entirely satisfied with any item, it can be sent back to us for a refund, provided it is returned within 14 days after delivery has been made (unless otherwise specified). Please click here for more information.